Tuesday, April 29, 2008

CUSTOMER NUMBER ONE

I am going to talk about one of such jobs that has to do with maintaining a client. Maintaining a client is like, you know, he bought from you once and he will buy from you or your company again and again. And to make this happen, you must keep the client happy. However, what keeps one client happy is not what keeps another one happy too.
Below are some brief recollections regarding this maintaining activity.

To some, nothing is sweeter than money and my friend knows this conventional truth and she would comfortably start with, “Is there anything I can do to support you?” Happily this kind of client responds in varied answers; one would say about the broken sound system in his car; one would say his wife is now in the hospital; one would bluntly say “How much is my cut?”. For the last statement, he said, it is easier and time saving.

Another is playing dumb and dumber. What I mean here my friend is playing it for herself. Though she takes hold of a certain subject too well, she would let his client think he knows more of the subject. To her, this is like a free session to learning to humble oneself, suppressing the ego to let someone go on speaking of something he does not know of and learning to do more listening than talking. So, some expressions like “I see”, “And then what?”, and “No, please go on” are profusely uttered.
Sometimes the resilience of this humility was tested further in a different ground. When playing tennis with the client, she knew how to make the client feel good; she let him beat her in the game he could have never won had she meant it a little.

But nothing would have been more surprising than this following one to me. I asked her what she hated most from this job, and she did not answer immediately, fearing I was not ready to hear it. After I pushed her a bit, she was right; I would never have been prepared for this...
She said that another way to keep a client happy was a companion. To find out if he desires one is easy; for the client who enjoys this kind, what she would do is ask him what sort of entertainment he wants to have during his stay. And when the answer is someone he can talk with, then he is asking for that kind of companion to come over to his hotel. When I further asked her how she felt about setting this all up, she said she hated it as much as she did the client and felt like she was like a pimp doing a pro bono.


And that was all I got.

No comments: